|Head of house||Dovasary Balitang|
|Notable events|| Raka rebellion|
|Residence||Balitang House, Rajmuat|
|Related families|| House Haiming|
|Tortallan Universe family|
|First Appeared||Trickster's Choice|
|Latest Appearance||Tortall and Other Lands: A Collection of Tales|
The Balitang family (BAHL-ee-tahng) is the royal family of the Copper Isles, and was elevated to royal status with the ascension of the current head of the family, Queen Dovasary Balitang. Prior to that, the Balitang family was a powerful ducal house, with blood ties to the previous ruling dynasty, House Rittevon. Before the birth of Saraiyu Balitang, the family was full-blooded luarin, or white.
The Balitang family was a luarin noble family until Mequen's marriage to Sarugani Temaida. The family was incredibly wealthy and powerful and owned many lands and slaves, and employed many servants. The Duke Balitang who was Mequen's father probably married a Rittevon princess, making him the uncle of Oron Rittevon and his son, Mequen, the first cousin of King Oron. This placed Mequen very close to the Rittevon royal family, however because King Oron had many children from his three wives, Mequen was far down in the line of succession.
Mequen married Sarugani Temaida, a raka noblewoman and descendant of the Haiming Dynasty. Part of her dowry was Tanair on Lombyn Island, a modest fortress. He had two daughters by her, Saraiyu Balitang and Dovasary Balitang. Sarugani died of a horseriding accident. Mequen remarried Winnamine Fonfala.
By 462 HE, things were starting to change. King Oron survived all but three of his children, Mequen's first cousins once removed: Hazarin, Imajane, and Dunevon. When King Oron died, his heir Hazarin was childless and barren, leaving only Dunevon—Imajane would not be able to inherit, being a woman. Thus that placed Mequen after Dunevon, then Elsren after Mequen in the line of succession.
In 462, King Oron began to have nightmares about the Balitang family betraying him. His good favor toward them turned sour and he forced the family into exile instead of executing them. He also forced them to pay much of their fortune in order to appease him. The Balitang family was then impoverished and living at Tanair.
- Mequen died later that year by Bronau Jimajen. The dukedom's lands and titles passed to 5 year old Elsren Balitang.
- The raka conspiracy began to rise in power. The regents are forced to buy the Balitangs' favor with royal favor, as the Balitang family have garnered more power in exile due to support from other luarin noble houses.
- The regents assassinated King Dunevon and Duke Elsren, making Imajane the remaining heir.
At the end of 463, the Raka rebellion occurred, placing Dovasary Balitang on the throne. The Balitang family are then at the head of the social structure of the Copper Isles. The matriarch would be Dove, as Queen of the Copper Isles.
The elder Balitang daughters, Saraiyu and Dovasary are "twice-royal" with both the luarin Rittevon blood and the raka Haiming blood. Dovasary ended a cruel dynasty by becoming queen and establishing peace and freedom in the Isles.
- Nuritin Balitang, Mequen's aunt, the matriarch of the Balitang family before Dovasary's accession to monarch
- Unknown Duke Balitang + a Rittevon princess
- Mequen Balitang, deceased, head of the Balitang family before his death, and a Rittevon duke. First cousin of King Oron.
- 1. Sarugani Temaida, deceased, Mequen's first wife, House Haiming
- 2. Winnamine Fonfala, Mequen's second wife
The Balitang Dynasty
Upon Queen Dovasary's ascension, a new dynasty came about, called the Balitang Dynasty. Known rulers of this dynasty include: