It is one of the oldest and most prestigious centers of magical learning in the world, and is where the emperors of Carthak have received their education for generations.
Graduates must adhere to the magical laws set about by the university. Inar Hadensra, a powerful Scanran mage in the 5th century HE, didn't want a black robe as he knew the university would try to limit his magic and prowess.
- Elyot of Aspen Vale, an orange robe mage
- Cassine Catfoot, one of the 12 black robe mages of the 3rd century
- Ironwood of Sinthya, either attended this university or the City of the Gods
- Dolsa Silkweb, member of the rebel conspiracy in 249 HE
- Iceblade Regengar, specialized in wind and weather magic
- Lindhall Reed, taught botany and zoology at the university
- Numair Salmalín (formerly Arram Draper), a black robe mage
- Tristan Staghorn, war magic, a prodigy
- Gissa of Rachne, poisoner and potioneer
- Alamid Mokhlos
- Emperor Ozorne
- Kaddar Iliniat, not a strong Gift
- Zaimid Hetnim, imperial healer under Emperor Kaddar
- Varice Kingsford
The university has been a rival with the City of the Gods for hundreds of years, since before the 3rd century. In the 5th century, Tortall founded the royal university of Corus, which became a major rival university although it had only been in existence for a short while.