|Location||North of Maren and Tusaine, West of Sarain, South of Scanra, Northeast of Tortall|
|Landforms||Large mountain regions (unnamed)|
|Bodies of water|
|Established||Ancient (state in Thanic Empire)|
|Official Language||Common Eastern|
|Residents|| The Gallans|
Veralidaine Sarrasri (former)
|Head of State|| Giamo the Tyrant (Emperor of Galla centuries before)|
|Allies||Tortall (200s, attempted marital alliance)|
|Tortallan Universe place|
|First Mentioned||Alanna: The First Adventure|
|Only Appearance||Wild Magic|
|Last Mentioned||Lady Knight|
Galla (GAL-ah) is a country in the Tortallan Universe.
Location and climate
Galla borders Tusaine and a tiny bit of Tortall to the southwest, Maren to the south, Sarain and Scanra to the west and to the north. It has a colder climate, especially in the mountain ranges. Galla is famous for its mountains and forests and has an ancient royal line.
In the mid-3rd century HE, Galla created a temporary marriage alliance with their southwestern neighbor Tortall, when one of their princesses married the Tortallan king. He was not faithful to her, however, and she later died of breast cancer without children.
In the mid-5th century, Gallans suffer border raids from Scanrans, much like Tortall.
Known cities and towns
Gallans follow the regular pantheon that is popular in Tortall and other countries of the Eastern Lands. They worship Mithros and the Great Mother Goddess. They also have their own smaller gods, like the Green Lady and Weiryn—the latter who is also popular in northern Tortall.
Events and fairs
A large fair is held in Cría at the beginning of spring every year.
Bastardy is looked down upon tremendously, perhaps more than in Tortall, even though a few Tortallan nobles, like Yolane of Dunlath, looked down on Daine for her bastardy. Sarra Beneksri was scorned by some for having a child out of wedlock.
- Veralidaine Sarrasri, also known as "The Wildmage". She was born in Snowsdale, a village located in northern Galla.
- Sarra Beneksri, mother of Daine, native of Snowsdale
- Benek, Sarra's father, Daine's grandfather, native of Snowsdale
- Hakkon Falconer, native of Snowsdale
- Alysy of Conté was Queen of Tortall during the 200s HE before her death. She was a Gallan princess. She married King Roger II and became a member of the Conté family. She died without children.
- Blayce the Gallan, also known as the "Nothing-Man". Originated from Galla but then sold necromancy services to Maggur Rathhausak, the Scanran warlord in 460 HE.
Real life connections
Galla is based on a medieval society like Tortall, but it has quite a bit in common with France. "Galla" vs. "Gaul", and it sports an ancient royal line not unlike medieval France's royal family.