Knight master is a term used to describe an active knight, who has taken on a squire and is training that squire. Most squires are chosen by a knight master after their big examinations. Those who aren't are assigned to serve in the palace.
The squire does jobs for their Knight Master such as keeping their horses groomed, keeping their weapons set, serving them and their guest, to name only a few. It is also the squire's duty to protect their knight-master's honour. In return the knight master teaches the squire the skills they will need to complete their training.
Known pairs of knight master and squire
- Duke Roger of Conté was Alexander of Tirragen's knight master.
- Prince Jonathan was Alan (Alanna) of Trebond's knight master.
- Alexander of Tirragen was Geoffrey of Meron's knight master.
- Raoul of Goldenlake and Gareth II of Naxen were Sacherell of Wellam's and Douglass of Veldine's knight masters, although the exact assignments are unclear.
- Lord Imrah of Legann was Roald II of Conté's knight master.
- Inness of Mindelan was Cleon of Kennan's knight master.
- Jonathan IV of Conté was Zahir ibn Alhaz' knight master.
- Paxton of Nond was Joren of Stone Mountain's knight master.
- Raoul of Goldenlake was Keladry of Mindelan's knight master and after her Alan of Pirate's Swoop's.
- Alanna was Nealan of Queenscove's knight master.
- Myles of Olau and later Wyldon of Cavall were Owen of Jesslaw's knight masters.