Knight master is a term used to describe an active knight, who has taken on a squire and is training that squire. Most squires are chosen by a knight master after their big examinations. Those who aren't are assigned to serve in the palace.
The squire does jobs for their Knight Master such as keeping their horses groomed, keeping their weapons set, serving them and their guest, to name only a few. It is also the squire's duty to protect their knight-master's honour. In return the knight master teaches the squire the skills they will need to complete their training.
Known pairs of knight master and squire
- Duke Roger of Conté was Alexander of Tirragen's knight-master.
- King Roald V was Prince Jonathan's knight-master
- Prince Jonathan was Alan (Alanna) of Trebond's knight-master.
- Alexander of Tirragen was Geoffrey of Meron's knight-master.
- Raoul of Goldenlake was Sacherell of Wellam's knight-master.
- Gareth II of Naxen was Douglass of Veldine's knight-master.
- Lord Imrah of Legann was Roald VI of Conté's knight-master.
- Inness of Mindelan was Cleon of Kennan's knight-master.
- King Jonathan IV was Zahir ibn Alhaz' knight-master.
- Paxton of Nond was Joren of Stone Mountain's knight-master.
- Raoul of Goldenlake was Keladry of Mindelan's knight-master and after her Alan of Pirate's Swoop's.
- Alanna was Nealan of Queenscove's knight-mistress.
- Myles of Olau and later Wyldon of Cavall were Owen of Jesslaw's knight-masters.