- Nestor: "He was a decent man once. Then Pearl threatened his children."
- Goodwin: "We know. He sent his family north. Pearls on their pillows, all that."
- Nestor: "You heard. She also sent Sir Lionel's lady a pearl collar, the kind the gemsmiths call a choker. Sir Lionel gave way, that's all. He's terrified to block anything Pearl does. She had the sack to tell him if he resigned his post, my lady dies. So he does nothing."
- — Nestor Haryse and Clara Goodwin on the subject of Sir Lionel's hindering their investigations[src]
|Lionel of Trebond|
|Years of Service|
|Noble House||Trebond family|
|Wife||Prince Baird's oldest daughter|
|Descendants|| Alan of Trebond †|
Thom of Trebond †
Alanna of Trebond
Thom of Pirate's Swoop
Alan of Pirate's Swoop
(all descendants presumed)
|Guard District||Port Caynn|
|Tortallan Universe character|
Sir Lionel of Trebond was the Deputy Provost for Port Caynn since 242 HE until the end of September 247 HE. Lord Gershom had assigned him as Deputy Provost for Port Caynn on royal orders. While holding this position he was incapable of doing his duty as his fear of the Rogue, Pearl Skinner, paralized him. She had threatened to kill his family when Sir Lionel did anything against her or even resigned. Instead Sir Lionel sent the Lord Provost reports saying that all was well in his districts.
So far Sir Lionel only appeared in Bloodhound.
His father seems to have been not that nice a person, having "all kinds of humiliations"--although private ones--in store for his children even when they there grown-up, when they did something wrong. Sir Lionel was married to the oldest daughter of Prince Baird and had several children. His oldest son died of the Sweating Sickness in 242 HE.
He was appointed Deputy Provost in 242 HE. However, he didn't even have the slightest bit of control over his districts, being intimidated by Pearl Skinner. When he got too nosy in 244 HE she had pearls placed on his children's pillows, warning him that she would order his family's deaths if he continued to hinder her affairs. She also sent his lady a pearl collar which was called a "choker" and told him that his lady would die if he resigned. As a result Sir Lionel sent his wife and children to their home fief out of harms way. He only visited them afterwards, obviously not wanting them in the city, where they were in danger of being targeted by the Rogue. Since then he was even afraid of his own Dogs, who were often bought by Pearl, and only allowed very few old-time Dogs into his presence armed. All others had to leave their weapons behind before seeing him.
As Deputy Provost he had his main office in Guards House. Is was a room without much decoration, carpets or hangings, only maps of his districts provided some decoration to the fine, polished wood and well-carved moldings that formed the walls and ceiling. Instead of glass he has hornplates as windows and only brass candlesticks, inkwell and quill stand. Some volumes of law can be found in his bookcase.
When the false coins were passed around, originating from Port Caynn, Sir Lionel was intimidated enough by Pearl to not inform Lord Gershom, his superior, and he wouldn't even go after the guild banks when it came out that they had known of the false silver but not reportet it to the Provot's Guard. He justified the later decision with the fact, that it would only cause a panic. After Lord Gershom arrived in Port Caynn and restored order there Sir Lionel was removed of his position and sent back to his family holdings, which he wasn't to leave again. He would also not get another Crown position.
He was six feet tall with deep-set brown eyes, a long nose, and a thin mouth. He was lean with red and weathered cheeks. Sir Lionel had ginger-coloured hair, which he wore combed back from his high forehead. It hung in a slight curl below his ears. Lionel dressed well and his appearance suggested that he was a hunter, who was better at hawks than a spear. Sir Lionel had a thin, tough voice.
Lionel of Trebond │ ? │ Marinie of Tasride ┬ Alan of Trebond │ Eleni Cooper ┌——————————————————┴————————————————┐ │ │ │ George Cooper ┬ Alanna of Trebond Thom of Trebond │ ┌———————————————————┴——————————┬——————————————————————————————————————————┐ │ │ │ Thom of Pirate's Swoop Alianne of Pirate's Swoop ┬ Nawat Crow Alan of Pirate's Swoop │ ┌———————————————————┴┬———————————————————————┐ │ │ │ Ochobai Crow Ulasu Crow Junim Crow
Notes and references
- ↑ Bloodhound, September 19, 247 I (p. 384)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Bloodhound, September 13, 247 (p. 156)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Bloodhound, September 23, 247 II (p. 519)
- ↑ Bloodhound, September 24, 247 I (p. 461)
- ↑ Bloodhound, September 17, 247 II (p. 331)
- ↑ Bloodhound, September 16, 247 I (p. 260)
- ↑ Bloodhound, September 19, 247 I (p. 380/381)
- ↑ Bloodhound, September 14, 247 (p. 181/182)
- ↑ Bloodhound, September 17, 247 I (p. 314)
- ↑ Bloodhound, September 14, 247 (p. 182)