|Sabine of Macayhill|
- Lady Sabine: "I was told I might buy Corus's best apple-raisin patties at Mistress Noll's. Nobody warned me about the service. Maybe you should kill him. I would."
- Rebakah: "It's against the law."
- Lady Sabine: "Oh, I forgot—I'm in Corus again. People care about things like that here."
- — Lady Sabine and Rebakah Cooper when Yates Noll attacks Beka in Mistress Noll's Daymarket shop[src]
Sabine was born as the daughter of a Tortallan noble house. Her father has a turn for raising apples. He also grows Vivianos, which are his pride. She decided against leading a normal noblewoman's life to become a knight of Tortall.
Lady Sabine spent the most part of 245 HE and the beginning of 246 HE in the hill country, where she was sent by King Roger. They had "a misunderstanding,"(which was her threatening to break all the bones in his hand if he dared tried to touch her) thus the lady knight had to wait until the king pardoned her to return to Corus. Two other knights, who return with her to Corus, have also served in the hills with her. One has red hair, the other is blonde.
On her return to Corus she encounters Rebakah Cooper and her training guards, Matthias Tunstall and Clara Goodwin, when drinking in the Barrel's Bottom. A fight breaks out, and Lady Sabine is of crucial help to save the three Dogs.
The lady knight later meets Beka and her senior guards several times more. When visiting the slave market with some of her friends, Sabine makes it obvious that she does not approve of slavery and leaves the company of her fellow nobles because they disagree with her. She later helps watch Inman Poundridge in order to find the guards of Crookshank's opal diggers.
After their first meeting, she and Tunstall see each other often when he is off-duty. By May 9, 246 HE they seem to have had several suppers together and in September of the following year they still maintain a romantic relationship in spite of her saying that she likes her single state.
Lady Sabine's family owns apple orchards, where, amongst others, Viviano apples grow. The lady sent some of those to Beka after she was ambushed by the Pells.
Sabine also acknowledges the house of Macayhill as not being a particularly wealthy noble house, but possessing blood connections to the majority of noble houses in Tortall, leaving them very well-connected to other noble families.
Lady Sabine has brown hair and eyes. Her nose is long and her shoulders are broad. She is slender and nearly as big as Matthias Tunstall, which makes her a good six feet tall.
Personality and traitsEdit
The lady knight seems to have a quite unorthodox character and doesn't behave like the typical noble. Some misbehavior on her side might even have been the reason while the King exiled her and only pardoned her a year later. Lady Sabine is also found drinking in an inn of the Cesspool and doesn't share the opinions of most of her fellow nobles. Instead she repeatedly helps Beka and her Dogs out and seems to have a great deal of interest in them, especially in Tunstall, with whom she later also gets romantically involved. She doesn't even care that she is a noble and he a common guard.
- ↑ Randombuzzers: Chat with Tamora Pierce - Tortall - retrieved on March 11, 2011
- ↑ Bloodhound, September 12, 247 (p. 132)
- ↑ Terrier, April 8, 246 (p. 294)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Terrier, April 4, 246 (p. 190)
- ↑ Terrier, May 8, 246 (p. 453)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Terrier, May 9, 246 (p. 482)
- ↑ Bloodhound, September 11, 247 (p. 107)
- ↑ Bloodhound, September 12, 247 (p. 133)