|A Novel of Emelan|
|UK Release Date|
|Series||The Circle Opens|
|Preceded by||Cold Fire|
| This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Shatterglass.|
The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Tamora Pierce Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.
Shatterglass is set in the city of Tharios, far to the South. Tris and Niklaren Goldeye are attending a conference on vision magic when Tris meets Kethlun Warder and takes him as her pupil. They work together to hunt and capture a murderer nicknamed The Ghost who is killing Yaskedasi .
Trisana Chandler meets Kethlun Warder, a mage with a dangerous power: lightning. During their first meeting, he was unconsciously using his ambient powers and accidentally created a living dragon out of glass. Tris saves the dragon from being smashed by Keth, and names it Chime. She later finds out that he was struck by lightning less than a year ago. This incident left him temporarily paralyzed and with a great fear of lightning. He learned to walk again, but his speech is a little slow, and he lost his ease at Glassblowing .
A twenty-year-old man just as stubborn as Tris, Keth won't accept Tris or any of her teachings. He argues with her constantly, and refuses to learn about his lightning abilities, fearing a relapse into paralysis. Tris is surprisingly patient with him as she guides him through meditation and control over his powers. Eventually, Keth learns to trust Tris's instincts, and grudgingly accepts her as his teacher.
Soon, mysterious murders begin to take place. All the murdered women are Yaskedasi, female entertainers who are looked down upon in the town for their immodesty. But when one of the murdered Yaskedasi turns up in the town's central fountain, everyone starts to take notice. The town has a fear of death. Each time a person dies, the place must be cleansed by the town's priests when they perform the traditional cleansing ceremony. This ceremony is not only religious, but magical as well, effectively erasing all traces of the murderer, making it impossible for the authorities to track the killer, nicknamed the Ghost by locals.
Keth has been asked by Demakos Nomasdina, a member of the First Class to attempt to find the Ghost by way of glass balls that only he can make. These balls hold scenes of past crimes in them, causing him to be a suspect at first. Keth and Tris struggle, first against the local authorities, then against each other in the creation of these globes. When Keth's friend Yali is killed by the Ghost, the race takes on new meaning. Tris must teach Keth to control not only his magic, but his emotions and his impatience, for the Ghost to be caught, while taking care of Yali's foster daughter Glaki, who is an academic mage.
The Ghost tries to murder Tris and this proves to be his downfall. She captures him with her magic and discovers that is a prathmun, the lowest of the casts. His father was a man of the First Class and his mother a yaskedasu. In the end he landed in the lowest class of the city, a prathmun only fit to clear the other's dirt away. He was trying to take revenge on the fine society from which he came by killing Yaskedasi and leaving them in public plases so that the death and impurity would stain the purity of the first class.
Characters in Shatterglass
- Trisana Chandler - ambient weather mage
- Little Bear - Tris' pet dog
- Jumshida Dawnspeaker - Tris and Niko's hostess; mage
- Kethlun Warder - ambient glass and lightning mage
- Chime - glass dragon created with magic
- Niklaren Goldeye - academic mage; Tris' teacher
- Hafgwyn - Head of Dancruan's Glassblower Guild
- Atonou Tinas - Keth's fourth cousin once removed; glassblower in Tharios
- Dema Nomasdina - invesigator mage
- Nioki - murdered tumbler
- Farray - murdered dancer
- Ophelika - murdered musician
- Zudana - murdered singer
- Lieshield – mage attending the conference
- Ferouze – Keth's landlady
- Yali – yaskedasu living in Ferouze's Lodgings
- Iralima – dead yaskedasu (dancer), nicknamed Ira
- Glakisa Irakory – Iralima's daughter; orphaned; academic mage
- Xantha – yaskedasu living in Ferouze's Lodgings
- Poppy – yaskedasu living in Ferouze's Lodgings
- Vishaneh Amberglass - glass mage
- Rainspinner - weather mage
- Baoya the Golden - "Queen of Khapik"
- Rhidassa - seventh Ghost victim
- Lysis - yaskedasu, actress
- Stenatia - Ghost victim
- Brosdes - arurimi
- Majnuna - arurimi
- Aethra Papufos - high priestess of the All-Seing