|Circle Universe place|
|Location||To the east of the Pebbled Sea|
|Terrain||Desert, hilly, lush|
|Climate||Warm, dry, hot|
|Residents||The Sotaten peoples|
|Head of State||The King of Sotat|
|First appeared||Sandry's Book|
Location and climate
Sotat is located to the southeast of Emelan, along the Pebbled Sea. The climate ranges from humid to dry desert heat, depending on where one is in the country. In the far eastern part of the country, it is all desertland.
Landforms and bodies of water
- Qarwan River, located in the eastern part of the realm
Sotat is an absolute monarchy, which means the monarch holds complete judicial power.
The country has strict anti-thieving laws, even for children. The first and second time a thief is caught, an X tattoo is forcefully placed on the skin between the thumb and pointer finger, and the thief is treated to an overnight stay in prison. The third time, another X is tattooed, and the thief is brought before a judge, who has the power to sentence the perpetrator to a life of hard labor. The most common sentences are to the docks or the mines.
Sotat has relatively good relations with surrounding countries, namely Emelan. This is perhaps because Emelan is the host of the Winding Circle temple, one of the forerunning temples of the Living Circle religion.
- Hajra, the capital. It is where the king lives and rules. It is also where Briar Moss was born, and where he later lived before being rescued by Niklaren Goldeye.
- Chammur, a city located in the far east. Chammur is technically a part of the Sotaten kingdom, but it mainly governs itself. The amir is considered a king in all but name.
Since Niklaren Goldeye was allowed to save a convicted criminal from a life of hard labor, it's possible that the Living Circle is the main religion in Sotat. This can also be possible in seeing that Skyfire, who was once a famed Sotaten general, became a dedicate at Winding Circle, which suggests he was raised with that religion.
It's possible that the west of Sotat worships the Living Circle, while the east has its own gods, as seen with Chammur, a city that has a separate religion from the Living Circle.
People in Hajra speak Imperial, a language descended from the Kurchal Empire. People in Chammur speak Chammuri, a completely different tongue.
The cultural differences between the rest of Sotat and Chammur are probably due to history. Western Sotat was governed by the Kurchal Empire around 1,040 years prior to 1039 KF, while Chammur was found 200 years before the fall of the empire, thus explaining the different language and other cultural differences.
Sotat, like most of the countries surrounding the Pebbled Sea, was once part of the Kurchal Empire, which held power a millennium hence.
Gold is mined in Sotat, allowing the country to become quite wealthy.
- The Circle of Magic
- The Circle Opens
- Street Magic (appears, as technically Chammur is a part of Sotat)
Notes and references
- ↑ Tris's Book, Cp. 8 (p. 81; Scholastic ebook)
- ↑ Shatterglass, Cp. 12 (p. 185; Scholastic ebook)
- ↑ Daja's Book, Cp 9 (p. 110; Scholastic ebook)
- ↑ Daja's Book, Cp. 1 (p. 8; Scholastic paperback)