Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Propose new quotes for the main page here, vote for or against them and see old ones. If you know a quote which would be fitting to be displayed at the main page feel free to add it to the list of nominees. The promoted quotes will be shown on the main page in random order.
Sandry's Book 1
- Niko: "Hop in. The landlady says you don't sleep in one of her beds until you've bathed. I have to admit, I would welcome the change myself."
- Briar: "That stuff's unhealthy. Maybe you wouldn't be so bony if you stopped doing this all the time."
- Niko: "My thinness has nothing to do with bathing. Do you undress yourself, or must we do it for you?"
- — Niko and Briar concerning Briar's initial aversion to bathing[src]
Sandry's Book 2
Sandry's Book 3
Sandry's Book 4
Sandry's Book 5
Tris's Book 1
Tris's Book 2
Tris's Book 3
- Niko: "Have you any ideas about what area of your talents we should concentrate on?"
- Tris: "I need to learn control, Niko--for real. With everything. I think the rest has to wait. I don't want this to happen again. Not ever."
- Niko: "At least you know it. You could have been another Enahar, living off human pain."
- — Niko and Tris after the pirate attack[src]
Tris's Book 4
Tris's Book 5
Daja's Book 1
Daja's Book 2
- Sandry: "There has to be something we can do."
- Lark: "We're mages. We do what we can, but some problems are too big to fix."
- Sandry: "Then I wish I weren't a mage. What good is magic, if you can't use it to help people."
- — Sandrilene fa Toren and her teacher Dedicate Lark refering to the drought in Gold Ridge[src]
Daja's Book 3
Daja's Book 4
Daja's Book 5
- Sandry: "Daja doesn't exactly need to be tested on whether she's honorable or not."
- Niko: "Doesn't she? Don't all of you? This is your first taste of the things which may come from your being powerful mages. People will offer you gold, status, even love. I want to know how you will react. If want to know if your teachers will release greedy, thoughtless monsters into the world."
- — Sandry and Niko after he proposed that Daja might sell her living metal creation behind Polyam's back[src]
Briar's Book 1
Briar's Book 2
Briar's Book 3
Briar's Book 4
Briar's Book 5
Magic Steps 1
"Well. Knowing that he will assist you makes all the difference. Now, instead of wishing to throw Winding Circle's mage council into the harbor, I will do so. Immediately."
Magic Steps 2
"My dear, before you begin to rearrange his life did you introduce to this poor lad?"
Street Magic 1
Street Magic 2
Street Magic 3
- "There are only two ways for us, Ikrum. Victory or death. I will not live halfway in this world. Neither will my Vipers. Here is what you will do." She spoke quietly, making sure that he understood every word ... "Crush our foes, Ikrum. Give me victories."
- —Lady Zenadia doa Atteneh to Ikrum Fazhal[src]
Street Magic 4
Street Magic 5
- Briar: "They never tell you some things. They tell you mages have wonderful power and they learn all kinds of secrets. Nobody ever mentions that some secrets you don't ever want to learn."
- Rosethorn: "All you can do is learn good to balance the bad. Learn and do all the good within your reach. Then, if you wake in a sweat, you have something to set against the dream."
- — Briar and Rosethorn concerning the nightmares Briar had from the corpses in Lady Zenadia's garden[src]
Cold Fire 1
- "The bravest person I know is afraid of the dark. She sleeps with a night lamp always, but if her friends are threatened? She suddenly thinks she's a bear twelve feet tall and attacks whoever scared her friends."
- —Daja Kisubo referring to Sandry in a conversation with Niamara Bancanor about courage[src]
The Will of the Empress 1
The Will of the Empress 2
Melting Stones 1
- Rosethorn: "Evvy and I have an understanding. She tells me the truth, and I don't hang her in the first well we come to. It's a solution that works tolerably well for both of us."
- Azaze: "Is this Evvy such a handful? She seemed well enough last night."
- Rosethorn: "As much as my student -- her former teacher -- Briar was a handful. He and I had a similar understanding."
- — Rosethorn to Headwoman Azaze before the council meeting[src]
Melting Stones 2
- "I'm not so fond of people myself, Evvy, but I took my vows for a reason. There are two classes of people in the world, the destroyers and the builders. I want to build, not destroy. You need to ask yourself who you're going to be."
- —Rosethorn to Evvy after Evvy discovered that Mount Grace was actually a volcano[src]
Melting Stones 3
Melting Stones 4
Alanna: The First Adventure 1
Alanna: The First Adventure 2
- Thom: "I don't want to be a knight! I want to be a sorcerer! I want to slay demons and walk with the gods--"
- Alanna: "D'you think I want to be a lady? 'Walk slowly, Alanna. Sit still, Alanna. Shoulders back, Alanna.' As if that's all I can do with myself! There has to be another way."
- — Alanna and Thom of Trebond after their father told them they were sent away[src]
Alanna: The First Adventure 3
- Maude: "Have you thought of the lives you'll take when you go off performing those great deeds?"
- Alanna: "No"
- Maude: "I didn't think so. You see only the glory. But there's lives taken and families without fathers and sorrow. Think before you fight. Think on who you're fighting, if only because one day you must meet your match. And if you want to pay for those lives you do take, use your healing magic. Use it all you can, or you won't cleanse your soul of death for centuries. It's harder to heal than it's to kill. The Mother knows why, but you've a gift for both."
- — Maude Tanner and Alanna of Trebond shortly before the girl left Trebond to become a knight[src]
Alanna: The First Adventure 4
Alanna: The First Adventure 5
Alanna: The First Adventure 6
Alanna: The First Adventure 7
In the Hand of the Goddess 1
In the Hand of the Goddess 2
In the Hand of the Goddess 3
- Myles: "You're to tell me why Alan of all people should not be left among enemies for very long. I would rather hear it from Alan, when he's ready to tell me."
- Jon: "You already know."
- Myles: "Let's say I've formed an educated guess. I can wait to have it confirmed."
- — Myles of Olau and Prince Jonathan after Alanna was captured by the enemy in the Tusaine War[src]
In the Hand of the Goddess 4
- Mistress Cooper: "Hold still. You're worse than a city lad getting fitted into his first pair of long breeches."
- Alanna: "It doesn't look right. It looks like Squire Alan in a girl's dress."
- Mistress Cooper: "That's because we've done nothing with Squire Alan's hair. Hold still!"
- — Eleni Cooper and Alanna when Alanna comes to Eleni asking her to teach her womanly things.[src]
In the Hand of the Goddess 5
The Woman Who Rides Like a Man 1
- "You two have given me the death I did not hope to have, lying at peace among friends. Halef Seif sent you? I prayed he could help. Never think you came too late. My life was over when they laid hands on me a week ago. How could I live knowing the ones I had brought into the world and cared for wanted me dead?"
- —The sorceress of Alois to Alanna of Trebond and Olau and Coram Smythesson[src]
The Woman Who Rides Like a Man 2
- Alanna: "Jon? Why d'you want to be the Voice? You're already restless."
- Jon: "I need to be the Voice. If I can do this thing, become the leader of the Bazhir, there should be few secrets of the human soul I won't understand. [...] If I know them, how they think, I'll know how most people think. With that knowledge I can become the greatest--the best--ruler who ever lived."
- Alanna: "It's so important to you?"
- Jon: "It's what I was born to do. It's what I will do. In spite of being restless. In spite of everything."
- — Alanna and Jon the night before he became the Voice[src]
The Woman Who Rides Like a Man 3
- "I think I'm leavin' ye in a fairly quiet place. Ye weren't well enough known here that ye could get into any trouble, and I thought they'd stay away from ye. But I come back, and ye're the Motherblessed shaman of the tribe, ye've adopted three young ones, and ye're forcin' the women to accept two of their own sittin' with the men--"
- —Coram Smythesson to Alanna of Trebond regarding her changes to the Bloody Hawk tribe[src]
Lioness Rampant 1
- Alanna: "My liege. I am yours to command."
- Jon: "You're sure, Alanna?"
- Alanna: "Until death and after, Jonathan."
- Jon: "I accept your fealty, Sir Alanna. I accept, and I vow to return fealty with fealty, honor with honor, until death and beyond it."
- — Alanna of Trebond and Olau and Jonathan IV of Conté after her return from the Roof of the World, when they first saw each other again.[src]
Wild Magic 1
- Daine: "Onua, where's my hawk? Where'd that man come from?"
- Onua: "Hush. No more questions. I'll explain everything--later."
- Daine: "Later. Wonderful. Hawks disappearing, men appearing--why not? Later."
- — Veralidaine Sarrasri and Onua Chamtong after Numair Salmalín changed from his hawk form back to human again[src]
Emperor Mage 1
First Test 1
- "I suppose I'm being rash and peculiar, again, but if it means helping my friend Joren improve his studies, well, I'll just have to sacrifice myself. There's nothing I won't do to further the cause of book learning among my peers."
- —Nealan of Queenscove at Keladry of Mindelan's first day at the palace, when he volunteers to sponsor her[src]
First Test 2
- Cleon: "Now, wait. You can't go setting tradition on its ear. Hazing is the way new boys become pages. They have to earn respect from the older ones, and we teach them to obey orders."
- Kel: "So I should let this go on because it's always been that way?" Cleon, the prince, Faleron, all nodded. "No. I know what you mean, Cleon. I do your chores. But this custom leads to worse things. Cleon sends me for papers, but someone else traps a first-year in a corner and keeps making him do stupid tasks. He'll maybe hit the first-year to smarten him when the first-year slows down--and that is dead wrong. If we take this as pages, what about when we're knights? Do we say, Oh, now I'm going to be nice to the weak and the small? Or do we do as we learned when we were pages? I don't mean to lecture. You can laugh and say I'm a silly girl--but when I see anyone big pick on someone small, well, there's going to be a fight."
- — Kel defending her attitude towards hazing[src]
First Test 3
First Test 4
- Wyldon: "Well, girl? I suppose you would like a nice warm place to sit, like the others?"
- Kel: "What I like doesn't matter, Lord Wyldon. It's what you want. [...] I didn't mean it the way it came out."
- Wyldon: "How did you mean it?"
- Kel: "You're the warrior in charge. In battle you could hit me or put me in irons if I questioned you. Why should you let me do it now? Enemies could be out to jump us right here, and you wouldn't hear them because you'd be talking to me."
- — Lord Wyldon and Kel on the way to the summer training camp in Kel's first year[src]
First Test 5
- Neal: "I keep telling you, these tests have to be easy enough that even a noble with ogre blood could pass."
- Kel: "You know, ogres only sound stupid. Most are pretty smart."
- Neal: "And it's a shallow person who judges anyone by the way they sound. I'm so shallow I'm surprised I don't reflect myself."
- — Nealan of Queenscove and Keladry of Mindelan on the topic of the page examinations[src]
- Kel: "He says he's changed."
- Neal: "I suppose he could have changed. I myself have noticed my growing resemblance to a daffodil."
- Kel: "You do look yellow around the edges. I hadn't wanted to bring it up."
- Neal: "We daffodils like to have things brought up. It reminds us of spring."
- — Keladry of Mindelan and Nealan of Queenscove on Midwinter of 454 HE[src]
- Lerant: "If I pretent I like you, squire, can I use the spyglass?"
- Kel: "Please don't try. You're not that good an actor. Dom, he can look when you're done."
- Lerant: "Some people are cocky ever since they killed a whole centaur."
- Dom: "Some people are annoying."
- — Lerant of Eldorne, Keladry of Mindelan and Domitan of Masbolle shortly before Third Company joins the Royal Progress[src]
- Neal: "Meet anyone worth having a conversation with?"
- Kel: "You mean relatives of yours?" Kel asked, all innocence. "You know, Neal, I think your branch was cheated when they handed out brains, because Dom--" She ducked the roll Neal threw at her."
- — Nealan of Queenscove and Keladry of Mindelan in the squire's messhall some time after Kel had been made Sir Raoul's squire[src]
Trickster's Queen 1
- Secret: "Imajane screaming and throwing things at Rubinyan. Bottles, brushes, mirrors. She says Rubinyan ..." It cocked its head as if listening. "She says he is tumbling a lady?"
- Aly: "Ah. It means he is making love with a lady. If Imajane is throwing things, she believes he is in love with some other woman. Is she still throwing things?"
- Trick: "She has nothing to throw unless she picks up chair," said Trick. "Uh-oh."
- Secret: "She picked up chair." Secret explained."
- — Secret and Trick reporting to Aly about the regents' actions.[src]
- Goodwin: "Now I know why you like having a Puppy so much. It makes you all eager again. Like you were getting bored."
- Tunstall: "She was bored, too. Though I confess, I didn't think Puppies brought such big crimes so quick. Mayhap it's just you see with fresh eyes when you have a Puppy to care for. You see bad business that's been there all along."
- — Clara Goodwin and Matthias Tunstall some weeks after Rebakah Cooper became their Puppy[src]
- Tom: "I've no pity for them getting their heads knocked in, none at all!"
- Beka: "But it was murder, Master Tomlan."
- Tom: "Some folk need murdering."
- Clary: "Tom, that's enough. Cooper's a good servant of the law."
- — Tomlan Goodwin, Rebakah Cooper and Clara Goodwin referring to Geraint and Madon Pell's death[src]
- Beka: "I'm not that fond of lying to folk. Not telling someone I like why I'm really here is the same as lying."
- Goodwin: "We're on a hunt, Cooper. When you're on a hunt, you do whatever it takes. [...] Folk will die of hunger if we don't nab these colemongers."
- — Rebakah Cooper and Clara Goodwin[src]
Uncommented/unopposed nominations will be added to the list of promoted quotes after a week.
Alanna: The First Adventure 8
- —I've known nobles who thought I should be grateful for their friendship—grateful enough to do them all sorts of favors. They wanted a kept thief, not a friend. I thought at first that's what you came for. Now I see you're here as a friend, askin' a friend's help.[[George after Alanna asked for his help with Ralon|[src]]]