This timeline for the Tortallan Universe tries to list all relevant events by date. The information is taken from the books and supplemented with information Tamora Pierce gave in interviews.
2nd century H.E.
- 127 - The Tortallan Provost's Guard was founded under King Baird III of Tortall and the Lord Provost Padraig haMinch
- 143 - Padraig haMinch's term as Lord Provost ended
- Dilsubai Haiming was the last raka Queen of the Copper Isles
- 174, April 5 - Rittevon of Lenman and his allies, among them Ludas Jimajen, begin their assault on the Copper Isles
- 185, Midsummer's Day - Rittevon of Lenman was crowned King of the Copper Isles and established a new luarin ruling line in the isles
3rd century H.E.
- Beka is born
- Beka and her family move into the Lord Provost’s home
- The Shadow Snake Gang claims their first victim
- Beka’s first day as trainee Dog
- Beka catches colemongers in Port Caynn
5th century H.E.
400 - 429 H.E.
~ 405 ~
- Liam Ironarm, the Shang Dragon, born.
~ 410 ~
~ 413 ~
~ 415 ~
~ 416 ~
~ 419 ~
- May: Thom and Alanna of Trebond born. Twin son and daughter of Lord Alan of Trebond. Their mother dies in childbirth. Thayet jian Wilima born to Adigun jin Wilima and his K'miri wife, Kalasin, in Sarain.
~ 422 ~
~ 427 ~
- Latest possibly date of birth for Anders of Mindelan.
430 - 439 H.E.
~ 430 ~
- Early Spring: [Start of the Song of the Lioness quartet and Alanna: The First Adventure] Alanna and her twin brother Thom switch places. Alanna goes to the palace to train as a knight. Thom goes to the City of the Gods to learn sorcery. Alanna befriends Jon, Gary, Raoul, Alex, and Francis of Nond, and meets Ralon of Malven.
- May: Alanna turns 11.
~ 431 ~
[ALANNA: THE FIRST ADVENTURE, cont'd]
- Early Spring: Alanna begins binding her chest to hide her growing breasts.
- May: Alanna turns 12.
- August: Duke Roger of Conté arrives at the palace to teach magic to the pages and squires.
~ 432 ~
[ALANNA: THE FIRST ADVENTURE, con'd]
- Spring: Alanna is humiliated in her first freestyle sword fight against Sacherell of Wellam. She begins training during her free time with Coram's sword.
- May: Alanna gets her period, panics, and reveals her identity to George, who takes her to his mother for help. Alanna turns 13.
- Autumn: Alanna travels to Barony Olau with Sir Myles, and wins the magic sword, Lightning.
- 10-year-old Arram Draper comes to the University of Carthak to study magic.
~ 433 ~
[ALANNA: THE FIRST ADVENTURE, cont'd]
- Winter: Alanna receives a letter from Thom through George confirming her suspicions about Duke Roger. Alex becomes Roger's squire.
- April: Alanna beats Geoffrey of Meron in freestyle fencing. The squires and Alanna visit Persopolis and meet Ali Mukhtab. Jonathan and Alanna defeat the Ysandir in the Black City. Jonathan learns Alanna's secret, and asks her to be his squire. [end of ALANNA: THE FIRST ADVENTURE]
- May: Alanna turns 14.
- Midwinter: Alanna becomes a squire. Jonathan, Gary, Alex, and Raoul are knighted.
~ 434 ~
- Early Spring: Lord Alan of Trebond dies. Coram returns to Trebond to manage the estate.
- Spring: [start of IN THE HAND OF THE GODDESS] Alanna receives a visit from the Great Mother Goddess, and is given a token of her favour. A black kitten with purple eyes adopts Alanna. Alanna names him Faithful.
- May: Alanna turns 15.
- June: Tusaine embassy comes to Tortall. Alanna defeats Dain of Melor, a Tusaine knight, in fencing. Duke Roger begins to consider Alanna a serious threat.
- August: George offers his thieves as spies in Tusaine, informs Alanna that Roger is having her followed, and kisses her for the first time. Jonathan turns 18. Delia of Eldorne comes to court.
- Adigun jin Wilima becomes Warlord of Sarain.
~ 435 ~
[IN THE HAND OF THE GODDESS, cont'd]
- January: While camping in the royal forest, Alanna is attacked by an enchanted boar.
- Late Winter: Jonathan starts an affair with Delia. Most of Alanna's other friends are smitten with her as well.
- March: A playful duel betwenn Alanna and Alex gets out of hand, and he breaks her collarbone.
- April: George brings Alanna intelligence on Tusaine, which Alanna reports to Sir Myles. Tusaine's forces have amassed around the Drell River Valley. War is declared. The Tortallan army musters under the command of Duke Roger, after Duke Gareth is injured. George kisses Alanna again before she marches for war.
- April - June: Encamped on the River Drell, Alanna befriends some of the common soldiers, and works in the healers tent. Alanna is wounded in battle. Prince Jonathan kisses her for the first time. Alanna turns 16.
- May 1: Sarra Beneksri meets the antlered hunt god Weiryn in the woods near Snowsdale in Galla. The two become lovers and conceive a child.
- July: Duke Roger makes an overture of friendship to Alanna, which she rejects. Alanna is then captured by Tusaine soldiers. Jon disobeys his father's command, and rescues her, capturing the Tusaine king's brother in the process. Tusaine sues for peace.
- August: Peace treaty between Tortall and Tusaine signed. Alanna and friends return to Corus.
- Autumn: Alanna starts exploring her femininity, with the help of Eleni Cooper. Jonathan kisses her a second time.
- Kaddar Gazanoi Iliniat, nephew of Ozorne, later Emperor of Carthak, is born to Princess Fazia and a Zallaran prince.
- Adalia of Mindelan is born to Baron Piers and Lady Ilane.
~ 436 ~
[IN THE HAND OF THE GODDESS, cont'd]
- Late Winter: Veralidaine "Daine" Sarrasri, daughter of Sarra Beneksri and the god Weiryn, is born at Snowsdale in Galla.
- February: Duke Roger bewitches a killer wolf to attack Alanna. Alanna discovers the Goddess's token allows her to see sorcery.
- May: Alanna turns 17, and begins a love affair with Prince Jonathan.
- October: Sickness spreads through the Eastern Lands. Queen Lianne falls ill, interrupting Jon and Alanna's romance.
- December: Alanna takes her suspicions concerning Duke Roger to Sir Myles, and learns that he shares them, but they have no proof.
- Oraine of Mindelan is born to Baron Piers and Lady Ilane.
- Approximate birth year of Uline of Hannalof.
~ 437 ~
[IN THE HAND OF THE GODDESS, cont'd]
- January: Alanna nearly drowns while skating on salted ice.
- March: Thom passes his examinations for Mastery in sorcery, becoming the youngest living Master.
- Spring: Dusan zhir Anduo attempts to overthrow the Saren warlord, Adigun jin Wilima.
- April: After a messenger is slain, Alanna and George decide to visit Thom at the City of the Gods in person. On the way home, they are attacked by hired assassins, and George is wounded. An assassin is killed by sorcery before he can name his employer.
- May: Alanna turns 18, and her friends surprise her with gifts of arms and armour. Jonathan tells Alanna he loves her, and she says it, too, for the first time. Alanna tells Gary her secret.
- August: Nealan of Queenscove is born to Duke Baird.
- Autumn: Civil war begins in Sarain.
- Midwinter: Alanna undergoes the Ordeal of Knighthood, and has a vision which prompts her to finally deal with Duke Roger. She publically confronts him with evidence stolen from his rooms. Her sex is finally revealed to the court in the midst of their duel, before she kills him. Alanna leaves court with Coram, to go searching for adventure. [end of IN THE HAND OF THE GODDESS]
~ 438 ~
- Early This Year: King Roald institutes annual public exams for fourth year pages.
- January: [start of THE WOMAN WHO RIDES LIKE A MAN] Alanna's sword breaks while fighting bandits in the desert. Alanna and Coram are taken captive by the Bazhir Bloody Hawk tribe. Alanna undergoes trial by combat to win the respect of the tribe.
- February: The Voice of the Tribes, Ali Mukhtab, tells Alanna that he wants Prince Jonathan to succeed him as the Bazhir's leader when he dies.
- Late Winter/Early Spring: Alanna tries to make peace with the tribe's shaman, but he attacks her with an enchanted sword, which drains his life force, killing him and leaving Alanna as shaman of the Bloody Hawk. She takes three young outcasts as her apprentices. One of them, Ishak, attempts to wield the enchanted sword, and is killed.
- Spring: Jonathan and Myles come to the desert. Jonathan and Alanna rekindle their love affair, and he proposes. Alanna considers, but ultimately refuses. Myles asks Alanna to become his heir, and she accepts. Alanna works to keep Ali Mukhtab alive until Jonathan can complete his training to become the Voice. In Sarain, Kalasin, the warlord's wife, commits suicide. Buriram Tourakom's mother and brother are killed protecting her.
- Summer: Alanna's apprentices, Kara and Kourrem, pass their initiation and become shamans. Jonathan undergoes the Ordeal of the Voice, and Ali Mukhtab dies. Jonathan and Alanna quarrell and part.
- Autumn: Jonathan returns to Corus, where he begins an affair with Princess Josiane of the Copper Isles. Alanna visits George in Port Caynn, and begins a love affair with him. Coram meets and falls in love with George's cousin Rispah.
- All Hallows: A mysterious power drains Alanna of all her magic. Thom writes to claim responsibility, citing unspecified "experiments". Only later is it revealed that he has brought Duke Roger back from the dead.
- December: A maidservant attempts to poison George's household, but dies of sorcery before she can reveal her employer's name. Alanna returns to the desert, and George to Corus.
- Approximate year of Lalasa Isran and Tianine Plowman's births.
- Lerant of Eldorne is born to a brother of the Lady Delia.
~ 439 ~
[THE WOMAN WHO RIDES LIKE A MAN, cont'd]
- January: George is attacked by Claw's men. George has a background check done on Claw, and learns from Sir Myles that Thom's experiments involve raising the dead.
- Late Winter: Halef Seif, the headman of the Bloody Hawk, sends Alanna to check on a friend. Alanna and Coram arrive too late to save the woman, but she gives them a package before she dies. Alanna mends her sword by magically melding it with the enchanted blade. [end of THE WOMAN WHO RIDES LIKE A MAN]
- Late February: Thom presents the resurrected Duke Roger at court.
- March: Queen Lianne of Tortall dies. [start of LIONESS RAMPANT] Alanna meets the Goddess and the Shang Dragon, Liam Ironarm, in Maren. Liam rescues Alanna and Coram from Claw's men, and the three of them set out on a quest to recover the fabled Dominion Jewel. Alanna and Liam begin a love affair.
- April: King Roald of Tortall commits suicide. Alanna's party crosses war-torn Sarain, where they encounter a refugee band of young women and children, including the Warlord's daughter, Thayet. Alanna invites Thayet and her guard, Buriram Tourakom, to join them on their quest.
- May: Alanna turns 20. Alanna's party reaches the Roof of the World. Alanna battles Chitral's manifestation for the jewel. Alanna and Liam's romance ends. Alanna's party meets Raoul and take ship back to Tortall. Alanna learns that Thom raised Roger from the dead. In Tortall, George moves his mother in with Sir Myles to protect her from Claw. Myles learns that Claw is Ralon of Malven. Jonathan's procession through Corus becomes the Great Market Riot. George discovers that Thom is desperately ill.
- June: George meets Alanna's party at Port Caynn. Thom visits Alanna, and she realises her twin is dying. Jonathan meets Thayet at Myles's townhouse. Alanna, Thayet, and the Dominion Jewel are presented at court. Jonathan appoints Alanna King's Champion, and offers George a royal pardon and a title, making him Tortall's spymaster.
- Summer Solstice [Beltane, as published]: Alanna has a vision of the Goddess and the other gods in the Hall of Crowns.
- July: Master Si-Cham comes to Corus to help Thom. Jonathan undergoes the Ordeal of Kings. Jonathan is crowned King of Tortall at the full moon, triggering a rebellion and Duke Roger's magical trap. Thom dies. George kills Claw. Josiane kills Si-Cham and Faithful. Alanna kills Josiane, Alex, and Roger (again). Liam dies in battle.
- Late July: Alanna returns to the Bloody Hawk for some rest. A new constellation -- the Cat -- appears in the sky.
- October: Thayet asks Alanna's blessing to marry Jonathan. The Shang Wildcat delivers Liam's farewell letter to Alanna.
- November: Jonathan and Thayet announce their engagement. George asks Alanna to marry him. She accepts. [end of LIONESS RAMPANT and the SONG OF THE LIONESS quartet]
- Midwinter: Myles of Olau and Eleni Cooper marry. Coram Smythesson and Rispah marry.
440 - 449 H.E.
~ 440 ~
- First year of the joint reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall.
- Early This Year: Jonathan and Thayet marry.
- July: First anniversary of Jonathan's coronation celebrated with a royal progress throughout Tortall.
- Tortall's schools open their doors to every child in the realm.
- Late This Year: Prince Roald of Conte is born to Jonathan and Thayet. Also born this year are Maura of Dunlath, Joren of Stone Mountain, Cleon of Kennan, Vinson of Genlith, Zahir ibn Alhaz, Garvey of Runnerspring, and Balduin of Disart.
~ 441 ~
- Second year of the joint reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall.
- Famine in the Tortall, resulting from King Jonathan's use of the Dominion Jewel during the coronation. [Squire, Ch. 16, gives year as 438]
- Princess Kalasin is born to Jonathan and Thayet.
- Faleron of King's Reach, Yancen of Irenroha, and Ragnal of Darroch are born.
- Yukimi noh Daiomoru is born in the Yamani Islands.
- Jonathan and Thayet commission a new map of the Eastern Lands.
~ 442 ~
- Third year of the joint reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall.
- June: Keladry of Mindelan is born to Baron Piers and Lady Ilane of Mindelan.
- Also born this year are Merric of Hollyrose, Esmond of Nicoline, Quinden of Marti's Hill, Seaver of Tasride, and a sister of Nealan of Queenscove.
- Ozorne Muhassin Tasikhe is crowned Emperor of Carthak. A prophecy is made that hyenas will lead his doom to him.
- Thayet founds the Queen's Riders.
- King Jonathan proclaims that girls from noble families are permitted to try for knighthood.
- Lord Wyldon of Cavall is appointed training master for the pages at the royal palace.
~ 443 ~
- Fourth year of the joint reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall.
- Thom of Pirate's Swoop is born to Alanna and George Cooper.
- Owen of Jesslaw, Prosper of Tamaran, and Teron of Blythdin are born.
- Arram Draper flees Carthak and his former friend, Emperor Ozorne, leaving behind his lover, Varice Kingsford. He changes his name to Numair Salmalin, and works as a street magician in Tortall.
~ 444 ~
- Fifth year of the joint reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall.
- Iden of Vikison Lake and Warric of Mandash are born.
~ 445 ~
- Sixth year of the joint reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall.
- Twins Alan and Alianne born to Alanna and George Cooper.
~ 446 ~
- Seventh year of the joint reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall.
- Conal of Mindelan dangles his four-year-old sister Keladry over a tower balcony, inspiring her fear of heights.
- Baron Piers of Mindelan is made Ambassador to the Yamani Islands, where he, his wife and his younger children will live for the next six years.
- Kaddar's father, a Zallaran prince, dies putting down a rebellion in Siraj.
- Approximate birth year of Fianola. [Squire, Ch. 15]
~ 447 ~
- Eighth year of the joint reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall.
- Drought and famine begin in Carthak, continuing through the end of Ozorne's reign.
- Mages in Carthak find spells that open the barrier separating the human and Divine Realms.
- Lady Ilane of Mindelan holds off Scanran pirates, using a glaive. The incident makes a huge impression on her five-year-old daughter Keladry, and results in a treaty between the Yamani Islands and Tortall.
- A page commits suicide by jumping off the tower called Balor's Needle, after failing his examinations.
- Thayet ruins her pink tissue dress riding to the aid of the Fifth Rider Group.
~ 448 ~
- Ninth year of the joint reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall.
- Kel begins training with the naginata in the Yamani Islands.
- Rumors of Immortals begin to circulate throughout the Eastern lands.
- Winter: Food riots in Carthak.
- Approximate birth year of Yvenne. [Squire, Ch. 15]
~ 449 ~
- Tenth year of the joint reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall.
- Late January to February: Daine's family are killed by raiders. Daine joins a wolf pack and seeks revenge. Villagers from Snowsdale hunt her down. Daine and Cloud head south. Daine turns 13.
- Late March: [start of the IMMORTALS quartet and WILD MAGIC] Daine meets Onua at the fair at Cría in Galla, and sets out with her for Tortall.
- Spring: Snowsdale hunters drive the wolf pack from their home, killing several pack members, including all of the pups.
- April: Daine and Onua encounter immortals, a hawk-shaped Numair, and Alanna on the road. They arrive in Corus, and Onua offers Daine a permanent position as her assistant. Stormwings openly attack the capital, but are repelled thanks to Daine's early warning. Daine becomes Numair's student and begins to learn about wild magic.
- Late May to early June: Daine and the Rider trainees head for their summer training camp at Pirate's Swoop. Daine worries about losing herself in her magic until Numair solves the problem. Daine begins learning to heal animals.
- Mid June: Siege of Pirate's Swoop. Daine adopts the orphaned dragonet Skysong, known as Kitten. [end of WILD MAGIC]
- September: Kitten eats a box of myrrh and burps smoke for a week.
- Autumn: Snowsdale wolf pack arrives at Long Lake. An earthquake exposes a vein of opal in the hills near Dunlath.
450 - 459 H.E.
~ 450 ~
- Eleventh year of the joint reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall.
- Late Winter: Daine turns 14.
- March: Ninth Rider Group disappears in the Long Lake area.
- Spring: Dunlath men begin deforesting and mining the area around Long Lake.
- July: Twenty Tortallan soldiers vanish in the Long Lake area.
- August: Brokefang sends Fleetfoot and Russet to find Daine.
- Mid September to Early October: [start of WOLF SPEAKER] While investigating the disappearance of the Riders and soldiers, Daine and Numair -- with the help of Daine's wolf pack and other animals, immortals, and humans -- uncover and put down a plot by Yolane of Dunlath to seize the throne of Tortall. Daine learns to transform entirely into an animal. The mage Tristan Staghorn is transformed into a tree by Numair. Elsewhere in the world, a tree becomes a man named Qiom.
- Late October: Daine and Numair leave Dunlath in the capable hands of ten-year-old Maura, Yolane's half-sister, and her advisors -- human, animal, and immortal -- after Yolane is convicted of high treason. [end of WOLF SPEAKER]
- Autumn: Prince Roald begins his page training.
- Midwinter: Numair gives Daine sapphire earrings.
- Approximate birth year of Tobeis Boon in the village of Queensgrace. [Lady Knight, Ch. 2]
~ 451 ~
- Twelfth year of the joint reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall.
- Winter: Daine transforms into a deer and is mistakenly chased by royal huntsmen.
- Late Winter: Daine turns 15.
- April: Two pages are late for their exams. Lord Wyldon decrees they must repeat the year.
- Spring: On a hunt for killer unicorns, Daine is cornered by bandits and transforms into a goose. A barbed arrow almost results in her losing an arm. Emperor Ozorne claims to capture, try, and execute the "renegade" mages who opened the magical barrier between the human and Divine Realms.
- Autumn: [start of EMPEROR MAGE] A Tortallan delegation, including Daine, Numair, and Alanna, visits Carthak for peace negotiations. Talks break down as portents of disaster occur and it becomes clear that the gods are displeased with Emperor Ozorne. The Graveyard Hag, Carthak's patron goddess, temporarily imbues Daine with the ability to bring the dead to life. When Ozorne supposedly captures and executes Numair (in truth, a simulacrum), Daine brings an army of dinosaur skeletons to life and goes on a rampage. Ozorne transforms into a stormwing, forfeiting his kingdom and his human magic, and escapes. Carthak's five year drought comes to an end when Kaddar, Ozorne's nephew, pleads with the Graveyard Hag to give Carthak another chance. A peace treaty between Tortall and Carthak is signed. [end of EMPEROR MAGE] Kaddar is crowned Emperor of Carthak.
- Midwinter: Uusoae, the Queen of Chaos, begins her campaign against the Great Gods, throwing the human and Divine realms into turmoil. The barrier between realms evaporates. Numair realises his attraction to Daine. Daine begins a casual romance with Perin the clerk. An unnamed squire goes mad in the Chamber of the Ordeal. He drowns himself five months later.
~ 452 ~
- Thirteenth year of the joint reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall.
- January: Ozorne creates the darkings using Stormwing blood magic. Daine falls ill with unicorn fever.
- Late Winter: Daine turns 16.
- Late March: An alliance of Copper Islanders, Carthaki rebels, Scanran raiders, and immortals, led by the former Emperor Ozorne and the mage Inar Hadensra, strike Tortall suddenly in a hundred different places, marking the official start of the Immortals War.
- April: Nealan of Queenscove quits healer training at Tortall's university to begin training for knighthood. Raoul is elevated to the peerage, becoming Sir Raoul of Goldenlake and Malorie's Peak. Edmund of Rosemark is late for his 4th year page exams. Lord Wyldon decrees he must repeat all four years, but Edmund refuses and goes home.
- Spring: Baron Piers of Mindelan and his family return to Tortall after six years in the Yamani Islands.
- Mid June to Early July: Wyldon of Cavall heroically saves Princes Liam and Jasson and Princess Lianne. Anders of Mindelan is wounded in battle. [start of REALMS OF THE GODS] While war with Scanra, the Copper Isles, and Carthaki raiders, led by Ozorne and the mage Inar Hadensra, rages in Tortall, Daine and Numair are pulled into the Divine Realms by Daine's parents. There, the Great Gods are battling Uusoae, the Queen of Chaos, to keep her from swallowing the mortal and Divine realms. Daine and Numair travel to the Dragonlands to find a way home, beginning a love affair on the way. Returning to Tortall, Daine at last slays the Stormwing Ozorne, bringing about the end of the war. Numair kills Inar Hadensra. The Stormwing Rikash is killed in battle. The Great Gods imprison Uusoae in the Chaos Realm. Numair proposes to Daine, and she tells him maybe someday. [end of REALMS OF THE GODS and the IMMORTALS quartet]
- Autumn through Midwinter: [start of the PROTECTOR OF THE SMALL quartet and FIRST TEST] King Jonathan orders Lord Wyldon to take Keladry of Mindelan on for a year as a probationary page. Alanna is forbidden to have any contact with the girl. Kel is disappointed but resolves to do her best and learn all she can. At the palace, she faces bullying and misogyny, but nevertheless wins friends through her positive attitude, zero-tolerance for bullying, and skill at fighting.
~ 453 ~
[FIRST TEST, cont'd]
- Fourteenth year of the joint reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall.
- Late Winter: Other pages begin to join Kel's anti-bullying patrol, and eventually put a stop to the worst of the bullying by Joren of Stone Mountain and his friends.
- Spring: Kel's fear of heights becomes public knowledge when she is forced to run along the top of the castle wall as a training exercise. Her jousting vastly improves due to her training with a weighted lance. Kel and her fellow pages successfully pass the spring page examinations.
- Summer: Pages spend two months at their summer camp. Lord Wyldon tries to force Kel to overcome her fear of heights with daily tree-climbing. Kel turns 11. The pages join a company of the King's Own to hunt down a nest of spidrens. During the fight, Kel assumes command of the pages, successfully fending off and killing a few of the monsters. Back at the palace, Lord Wyldon tells Kel she may return the following year, though he hopes she will choose not to. Pages return home for the remainder of the summer. [end of FIRST TEST] An earthquake in the Yamani Islands causes the death of Imperial Princess Chisakami, who was betrothed to Prince Roald.
- Autumn: 17-year-old Adalia and 16-year-old Oraine of Mindelan are presented at court.
- September to October: [start of PAGE] Kel begins her first official year of page training. She acquires a dog named Jump and a traumatized serving girl named Lalasa. Joren and his friends add sexually charged insults to their campaign against Kel, in the hopes of getting her dismissed for being a distraction. A massive brawl erupts among the pages and damages the stables. Most of the punishments Wyldon assigns Kel now involve high places.
- November: Kel discovers that her breasts are beginning to grow. When a servant harrasses Lalasa, Kel insists on teaching the maid self-defence techniques.
- Late Autumn: Baron Piers and Lady Ilane of Mindelan's return to the Yamani Islands is cancelled. They stay on in Corus to work with the new ambassador in devising a new marriage treaty for Prince Roald.
- Midwinter: Kel develops a crush on Neal. While serving at the Midwinter banquets, Joren and his friends play numerous tricks to make Kel's friends look bad, resulting in extra punishment lessons. The other pages back Kel when she orders Joren to stop. Neal develops a crush on Unline of Hannalof. Kel receives another gift from her mysterious benefactor.
~ 454 ~
- Fifteenth year of the joint reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall.
- Winter: Pages' camping trip into the Royal Forest. Pages serenade Neal to tease him for his unrequited crush on Uline of Hannalof.
- April: Kel's feelings for Neal continue to grow. She and Lalasa talk about love and crushes. On the day of her page exams, Kel inconveniently starts her first period. Cleon, Roald, Joren, Vinson, Garvey, and Zahir all pass their fourth year page exams and are made squires.
- May: New squires begin to leave the palace with their knight masters. Prince Roald is made squire to Lord Imrah of Legann. Cleon is chosen by Kel's brother, Sir Inness of Mindelan. Joren leaves with Sir Paxton of Nond. Zahir is made squire to King Jonathan.
- June: During the pages' summer training camp, Kel assumes command when she and a group of her friends encounter a party of bandits (Kel's 12th birthday).
- Summer: Uline of Hannalof joins the ranks of Queen Thayet's elite group of Royal Ladies.
- September: Kel spends time with her parents. Lady Ilane offers to get her daughter a birth control charm.
- Late September/Early October: Page training begins, with new lessons on tactics for the older pages. King Jonathan praises Kel for her quick thinking against the bandits.
- October: Uline of Hannalof breaks her arm in the course of her duties as one of the Royal Ladies.
- Late October: The older pages are assigned more advanced lessons in group fighting, archery, and tilting. Lalasa takes on sewing commissions from Kel's sisters. Raoul compliments Kel on her anti-hazing work. Cleon returns with more-than-friendly feelings towards Kel.
- November: Joren returns, claiming to have turned over a new leaf. Iden and Warric ask Kel for help with staff fighting practice.
- Midwinter: Uline of Hannalof and Kieran haMinch announce their betrothal. Kel recieves another gift from her mysterious benefactor.
- Sometime This Year: Blayce Younger of Galla, a student mage, is expelled from the mage school in the City of the Gods for practicing necromancy.
~ 455 ~
- Sixteenth year of the joint reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall.
- January: Kel vows to challenge her fear of heights daily with climbing and mapping exercises. Lord Wyldon starts Kel tilting at rings. Senior pages begin learning street fighting tactics.
- February: Kel's page group, under her leadership, beats a larger group of pages in a tactical fighting exercise. Lord Wyldon reluctantly praises her for the first time.
- March: Joren concern-trolls Kel about her fear of heights and her marriage prospects. Vinson assaults Lalasa. Kel threatens to take him before the Court of the Goddess.
- April: Cleon gives Kel an awkward hug before he leaves Corus again. Kel and her friends pass their exams. Faleron and Yancen are made squires.
- June: Kel turns 13. A deputation from Dunlath, including 15-year-old Lady Maura, visits the pages' summer camp.
- Summer: Kel spends time with her with her family at their Corus townhouse and in Port Caynn.
- September: Kel begins her fourth year of page training. Lalasa receives numerous sewing commissions.
- November: On an overnight camping trip in the Royal Forest, the pages stage a mock battle. The defending forces, under Kel's command, win the day.
- Midwinter: Kel receives a longsword from her mysterious benefactor. Adalia of Mindelan marries the younger brother of the heir to Nond.
- Late in the year: Uline of Hannalof marries Kieran haMinch.
- Lerant of Eldorne takes an arrow meant for Raoul, fighting bandits in the Tusaine hills.
~ 456 ~
- Seventeenth year of the joint reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall.
- January: Queen Thayet commissions a dress from Lalasa.
- Late March: Nobles begin arriving at the palace for the bi-annual congress to decide on new laws for Tortall. Cleon and Roald return.
- April: Kel is forced to miss her senior page examinations and face her fear of heights to rescue a kidnapped Lalasa and Jump from the top of Balor's Needle. A special ruling allows Kel to take her exams two days later. Kel passes her exams and is made a squire, receiving the personal congratulations of Lord Wyldon and ownership of the warhorse Peachblossom from her mysterious benefactor. [end of PAGE] Ogres invade Tortall over the Tusaine border, and are driven back by Raoul and the King's Own.
- Spring: Great Congress of Tortall's nobles takes place at Corus.
- June: Kel turns 14. [start of SQUIRE] Kel becomes Sir Raoul's squire, and moves into rooms adjacent to his with 3rd Company of the King's Own. Raoul gives her the horse Hoshi, and permission to use her glaive. Neal becomes Alanna's squire. Lalasa opens her tailor shop.
- June - July: Kel rides out with 3rd Company to hunt down a group of murderous human and centaur bandits. They trap the bandits at the village of Owlshollow, where Kel kills a centaur and rescues a baby griffin, which she is forced to take custody of.
- Autumn: Kel and 3rd Company return to Corus. Raoul begins training Kel in the logistics of command and tilting against an armed opponent.
- November: A Yamani embassage, including Prince Roald's betrothed, Imperial Princess Shinkokami, arrive in Tortall. Kel discovers she is over her crush on Neal, but Cleon's crush on Kel continues unabated. Kel begins daily glaive practice with the Yamani ladies, her own mother, and Queen Thayet.
- December: 3rd Company are called away to deal with rebels and a forest fire, but are recalled to Corus when the orchestrator or Lalasa's kidnapping, revealed to be Joren of Stone Mountain, is put on trial for his crime. He confesses arrogantly and is convicted, but is only required to pay a fine in recompense for his actions. Outraged, Kel requests a private audience with the king and queen, who agree with her that the law is bad, and promise to work to change it.
- Midwinter: Kel plays matchmaker, getting Roald and Shinkokami to relax and talk to each other. Cleon kisses Kel for Midwinter luck.
~ 457 ~
- Eighteenth year of the joint reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall.
- After Midwinter: Kel visits the Chapel of the Ordeal and has a nightmarish vision of her friends being culled by Joren.
- January - May: Kel and Raoul travel around Tortall with 3rd Company, doing work for the realm.
- June: King Jonathan summons 3rd Company to join the Royal Progress. Kel performs traditional squirely duties for Raoul during a tournament. Kel turns 16 [dropped year due to calculation error].
- Early Autumn: Kel meets Alanna for the first time. Kel challenges Sir Ansil of Groten to a joust for insulting Raoul. Cleon kisses Kel, prompting talks with Raoul and Lady Ilane. Kel beats Ansil, forcing him to apologise, which he does with bad grace. Kel receives several more challenges, including one from Sir Voelden of Tirrsmont, who tries to kill her. She wins several jousts, meanwhile carrying on a discreet romance with Cleon. The griffin's parents come to reclaim their offspring, with thanks.
- Late Autumn: Lord Wyldon challenges Kel in the lists, unhorsing her on the third pass.
- December: The Royal Progress returns to Corus. Vinson of Genlith undergoes his Ordeal, and comes out of the Chamber confessing to assault and rape. Joren dies in the Chamber of the Ordeal. Wyldon resigns as training master over their fates, and takes Owen as his squire. Cleon, Prince Roald, Garvey, and Zahir all pass their Ordeals without mishap, and are knighted. Raoul and Buri begin a love affair.
~ 458 ~
- Nineteenth year of the joint reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall.
- January: The Royal Progress sets out again, heading south into the desert. Kel refuses challenges to joust, and continues her secret romance with Cleon.
- February: 3rd Company spend two weeks in Bay Cove, which has been devastated by an earthquake.
- Spring: Kel gets a birth control charm, just in case, and learns that Cleon's intentions towards her are serious, even though he is currently promised elsewhere. Kel tilts against Wyldon again, and managed to stay in her saddle. She meets three young girls who want to be pages.
- June: Kel turns 17. Word reaches the Progress of heavy raiding along the Scanran border. 3rd company are assigned to protect Jonathan and Thayet's party, while other troops are dispatched north.
- September: Lachran of Mindelan, son of Anders, begins page training.
- Late October: Royal Progress ends at Corus. Kel visits the Chapel of the Ordeal and has a vision of Cleon dying.
- Late Autumn: A squad of 1st company men, under Glaisdan of Haryse, are massacred by Scanrans.
~ 459 ~
- Twentieth year of the joint reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall.
- February: Raoul assigns Kel inventory duty of 3rd company's supplies and equipment in preparation for war with Scanra. Myles reports than nine Scanran clans have joined to form a formiddable army. First reports of "metal beasts and walking stones".
- Early Spring: 3rd company head north and make camp near the Scanran border.
- June: Kel turns 18.
- Summer: 3rd company take part in a number of small skirmishes, resulting in light casualties. Kel suffers a minor head injury.
- August: A large Scanran war band attacks a supply caravan. Kel, Raoul, and five squads of 3rd company ride to the rescue. Raoul gives Kel the command when Dom is wounded. A giant, metal killing device attacks them, and Kel kills it following a fierce battle. The device speaks with the voice of a child.
- September: Clashes with Scanrans fall off as cold weather sets in. Kel and Raoul head south to Corus.
- October: Scanrans attack the village of Goatstrack, killing 37, including the husband and daughters of Fanche Weir. Fanche manages to save 58 villagers.
- Midwinter: Neal, Esmond, Seaver, Quinden, Merric, all pass their Ordeals and are knighted. Yukimi expresses feelings for Neal, which are returned. On the last day of Midwinter, Kel undergoes her Ordeal of Knighthood. The Chamber deems her worthy, and gives her a mission to find the creator of the Scanran killing devices. Kel is knighted. Alanna presents her with a sword, revealing herself as Kel's mysterious benefactor. [end of SQUIRE]
460 - 469 H.E.
~ 460 ~
- Twenty-first year of the joint reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall.
- Winter: A hard winter makes travel to the north impossible. Neal and Yukimi are betrothed. The warlord Maggur Rathhausak is crowned King of a united Scanra.
- March: [start of LADY KNIGHT] Kel revisits the Chamber of the Ordeal for more information about her mission, and learns Blayce's name. Prince Roald and Princess Shinkokami's wedding is postponed due to the war. Tortallan reinforcements head north, trailed by hundreds of Stormwings. Kel rescues Tobeis Boon from a cruel master and takes him into her service.
- April: Cleon returns home to marry Ermelian of Aminar. Kel realises she is over him. Lord Wyldon of Cavall assigns Kel command of a new refugee camp, which she names Haven. Kel defends the camp from Scanran raiders and killing devices, with help from Numair, a handful of soldiers, convicts, and refugee recruits, as well as keeping the peace and managing the daily workings of the camp. Fort Giantkiller falls to Scanrans with killing devices. General Vanget defeats 3,000 Scanrans in battle on the Vassa plain. Kel visit Fort Mastiff to report her progress to Wyldon.
~ 461 ~
[LADY KNIGHT, cont'd]
- Twenty-second year of the joint reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall.
~ 462 ~
[LADY KNIGHT, cont'd]
- Twenty-third year of the joint reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall.
- The Scanran War ends. [end of LADY KNIGHT and of the PROTECTOR OF THE SMALL quartet]
~ 463 ~
- Twenty-fourth year of the joint reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall.
- The Raka regain power in the Copper Isles with Dovasary Balitang as new queen, a descendant of both the old Raka royality as of the Luarin kings.
~ 464 ~
- Twenty-fifth year of the joint reign of King Jonathan IV and Queen Thayet of Tortall.
- Alianne of Pirate's Swoop marries Nawat Crow
- Alianne gives birth to triplets