The Tortallan Universe is the setting of most of Tamora Pierce's books and refers to the universe that encompasses Tortall and the surrounding lands. The books are mainly set in Tortall, but other countries provide the setting for a few books.
The other universe created by Pierce is the Circle Universe aka The Emelanese Universe. The two universes are completely separate and there is no overlap at all.
Books are listed by publication date. HE (Human Era) refers to the time period within the Tortallan Universe.
- Song of the Lioness quartet (set mostly in Tortall, 5th century HE)
- The Immortals quartet (5th century HE)
- Protector of the Small quartet (set mostly in Tortall, 5th century HE)
- Daughter of the Lioness duology (set almost exclusively in the Copper Isles, 5th century HE)
- Provost's Dog trilogy (set exclusively in Tortall, 3rd century HE)
- Young Warriors: Stories of Strength is an anthology of short stories from fifteen different writers, including Tamora Pierce. Pierce and Josepha Sherman edited and compiled the anthology. It was published in 2005.
- Student of Ostriches was first published in this anthology. It also appears in another compilation of short stories published later.
- Tortall and Other Lands: A Collection of Tales, a compilation of short stories written entirely by Pierce, was published in 2012 after the full-length books. Quite a few short stories are set within the Tortallan Universe.
- A trilogy on Numair Salmalín—The Gift of Power as the first book (unpublished)
- A companion book with maps and other info included (unpublished, date unknown)
- A book about Maura of Dunlath—as T Pierce has many other books planned both in this universe and in the Circle Universe, it is doubtful that a book on Lady Maura will be published any time soon.
- Alanna of Pirate's Swoop and Olau, protagonist of The Song of the Lioness quartet
- Veralidaine Sarrasri, protagonist of The Immortals quartet
- Keladry of Mindelan, protagonist of the Protector of the Small quartet
- Raoul of Goldenlake, Owen of Jesslaw, Domitan of Masbolle (supporting characters), Cleon of Kennan (love interest), Nealan of Queenscove (crush and then best friend), Joren of Stone Mountain (antagonist for first three books), Wyldon of Cavall (antagonist for first two books), Blayce the Gallan & Stenmun Fobeden (antagonists for last book), other minor antagonists
- Aly of Pirate's Swoop, protagonist of the Trickster Series duology
- Rebakah Cooper, protagonist of the Provost's Dog trilogy
- Rosto the Piper (love interest), Farmer Cape (love interest, husband), Dale Rowan (love interest), Pounce, Clara Goodwin, Sabine of Macayhill & Matthias Tunstall (supporting characters), Ammon Lofts & Deirdry Noll (antagonists of Terrier), Pearl Skinner (antagonist of Bloodhound), Baird of Conté and other nobles and common-folk (antagonists of Mastiff)
Nations and peoples of the Tortallan Universe
Pierce bases a lot of countries and societies on real life.
- Tortall, based on generic western European medieval society with some Renaissance elements
- Carthak, based on ancient Egypt and ancient Rome
- Copper Isles, based on the Philippines
- Yamani Isles, based on Japan
- Scanra, based on Scandinavia
- Maren, based on western medieval society like Tortall
- Galla, based on medieval France (literally in the name "Galla" vs. "Gaul", shares other similarities of course)
- Sarain, mix between Tortallan culture and Cambodian/Vietnamese culture
- Barzun (conquered by Tortall in the 4th century HE)
- Raka, based on indigenous people of the Philippines
- Bazhir, based on the Bedouin tribes
- K'miri, based on the Mongols
The entire series of Tortallan Universe books starts with the Song of the Lioness in 429 HE, meaning "Human Era", or 429 years after the banishment of the immortals to the Divine Realms. The in-universe perspective encompasses the years 429 up to 464 HE, then 247 to 249 HE. Events outside of those parameters were referred to in the text, but did not happen in the books.
Please see the timeline for more in-depth and exact information about events, birth years, etc. of the Tortallan Universe.