|University of Lightsbridge|
|Bodies of water|
|Leader/Governor||Governing Board of Lightsbridge|
|Residents|| Niklaren Goldeye (attended, taught, former)|
|Affiliation||Initiate Council of Winding Circle|
|Head of State|
|Circle Universe place|
|First Mentioned||Sandry's Book|
|Last Mentioned||The Will of the Empress|
Lightsbridge has an accreditation program along with Winding Circle, the temple located just outside of Summersea. The Mages' Council of Lightsbridge and the Initiate Council of Winding Circle set the standard for the medallion and the mastery programs. The University also gives out mage licenses, but those require less study, and are less notable in the various fields.
Both institutions can issue the credentials, but Lightsbridge tends to specialize more with academic mages, and Winding Circle specializes with ambient mages. This distinction is not, however, concrete, as ambient mages have been known to attend Lightsbridge, and academic mages have been known to attend Winding Circle. Rosethorn and Crane are two dedicates at Winding Circle who attended the University together.
The credential is given out in a more scholarly manner. A student at Lightsbridge attends courses, does book learning, and builds their power in order to receive the credential needed to practice magic. After the mages' medallion, which signifies that the wearer has completed the necessary requirements issued by the two Councils, comes the master's credential. This is mentioned by Aymery Glassfire.
If an accredited mage discovers a new mage, they must teach that new mage the basics (meditation, reading and writing, etc.) until a mage of like power is found, and they may not charge fees for lessons or upkeep. The discovering mage is responsible for finding a possible teacher for the new mage, preferably one who has received a mages' medallion. These rules of teaching only apply to mages who've received the medallion, or higher diplomas and credentials. These particular rules do not apply to mages who only have a license.
It is against the law for mages to use magic directly on another person without permission, even if the intent is not to harm. This applies to any mages, whether they have a license or higher.
Academic mage graduates
- Niklaren Goldeye, famed truthsayer and a member of the Mages' Council of Lightsbridge
- Ishabal Ladyhammer, Empress Berenene's top mage
- Quenaill Shieldsman, master of protective magics
- Enahar, battle mage and pirate
- Aymery Glassfire
- Yarrun Firetamer, fire mage
- Wulfric Snaptrap, harrier-mage
Ambient mage graduates
- Rosethorn, member of both the Mages' Council of Lightsbridge and the Initiate Council of Winding Circle
- Crane, great mage, cure discovery
- Camoc Oakborn, carpentry magic
- Olennika Potcracker, served the empress of Namorn, and study at the University seems to be a requirement among imperial mages.
- Heluda Salt, magistrate's mage
The school has never appeared in any of the books, and is only mentioned throughout the series.