| This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Wild Magic.|
The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Tamora Pierce Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.
- This page is about the novel, Wild Magic. For the type of magic, see wild magic.
|A Novel of Tortall|
|Cover Artist||Michael McDermott|
|Publisher||Simon & Schuster/Atheneum|
|Release Date||December 1, 1992|
|UK Release Date|
Cover flap summary
- "Young Diane's knack with animals gets her a job helping the royal horse mistress drive a herd of ponies to Tortall. It soon becomes clear that Diane's talent,despite her struggles to hide it is downright magical. Horses and other animals not only obey the mysterious girl,they come to her and seem to listen to her words. But Diane will have to trust humans before she can come to terms with her powers,her past and herself."
- —Cover flap summary
- "For Raquel Wolf-Sister and
who opened my heart to the songs of all the beasts."
Wild Magic is set in the same world as The Song of the Lioness quartet. Thirteen-year-old Daine has always had a knack with animals, but it's not until she's forced to leave home that she realizes it's more than a knack-it's magic. With this wild magic, not only can Daine speak to naimals, but also she can make them obey her. Daine takes a job handling horses for the Queen's Riders, where she meets the master mage Numair and becomes his student.
Under Numair's guidance, Daine explores the scope of her magic. But she begins to sense other beings too: immortals. These bloodthirsty monsters have been imprisoned in the Divine Realms for the past four hundred years, but now someone has broken the barrier. It's up to Daine and her friends to defend their world from an immortal attack.
The reader is introduced to Daine, a thirteen year old girl who can speak to animals. Daine meets Onua Chamtong, the woman in charge of the horses for the "Queen's Riders," and is hired to help bring up a group of new ponies to the capital of Tortall, Corus.
Along the way, Daine and Onua are attacked by strange creatures called immortals and later learns that nearly all of Tortall is being plagued by them. However, the immortals that attacked had been on the chase of a hawk, but not just any hawk. The hawk later turns out to be the powerful mage, Numair Salmalín. She also meets Alanna the Lioness. Upon reaching Corus, she continues as the assistant horsemistress, teaching Rider trainees and learning more about her own powers of "wild magic" (here she meets Evin Larse, who appears later in the Protector of the Small quartet).
On their way to summer camp at Pirate's Swoop, Daine, to continue her training in her wild magic, tells Onua and Numair about how she had lost her mind after the murder of her family and joined a pack of wolves to kill the bandits who had killed her family. The townspeople of Snowsdale then realized what was happening and tried to kill her, so she fled. After time, with the help of her only family left, Cloud, a pony, she gained her humanity and sanity. Relieved that her friends still like her, and after Numair, her mage teacher, enacts a spell so she will not lose her mind once again, she begins to hone her powers and soon learns to heal animals. Towards the end of the book, she saves Pirate's Swoop from an attack of pirates and immortals from Carthak. She's also left in charge of a dragonet, whos mother has died in the battle to help save Tortall. Daine nicknames the dragonet Kitten, her real name being Skysong.
- Girl with a Pony
- The Hawk
- Spidrens and Meditation
- The Queens Riders
- Wild Magic
- Buzzards Rock
- Pirates Swoop
- Listening Far Enough
Characters in "Wild Magic"
- Veralidaine Sarrasri - heroine and focus of the book/series;
- Numair Salmalín - Daine's teacher;
- Onua Chamtong - takes Daine on as assistant horsemistress;
- Alanna of Pirate's Swoop and Olau "The Lioness"- Kings Champion
- King Jonathan - King Of Tortall
- Queen Thayet - Queen of Torall
- Prince Roald - Oldest son of Jonathan and Thayet,heir to the throne
- Princess Kalasin -Oldest duaghter of Jonathan and Thayet,2nd in line for the throne.
- Thom of Pirate's Swoop - Geogre and Alanna's oldest son
- Baron George of Pirate's Swoop - Alanna's husband 2nd in command to the Tortallan spy master
- Evin Larse - Queens Rider
- Miri - Queen's rider
- Buriram Tourakom - 2nd in Command of the riders.
- Sarge - Trainer for the Queens Riders